Winter Planning and College Consulting
Winter is the best time to boost your college planning by strategically designing activities that will give you the utmost advantage in the college application and admissions process. Winter months are the most flexible because you can populate your calendar with tasks you are interested in and those that will enhance your skill to complete the requirements for your college application. Remember to make it productive and fun at the same time.
Here is a list of tasks for you to prioritize over the Winter. Check them out and see how we can help you.
- College Application
- College Selection
Choosing which college is the best fit for you is a complex process. Our team of expert educational consultants, through a series of discussions, help you identify your strengths and interests as well as your considerations (size, location, etc) to narrow down the list of colleges and universities to match and consider applying to.
- Essay Editing
No matter what schools you are applying to, you will need to write a personal statement essay with 650 words that sum up your life experiences and why a college would want to admit you. Here are some tips to guide you.
- Letters of Recommendation Request Advising
Recommendation letters give admissions officers an insight into how you are as a student and your role in the school community. As you do not know what your teachers think about you nor do you have control over what they will write, it is important to build relationships and demonstrate leadership. Read this article to help you choose the teachers you will be requesting recommendation letters from.
- Common App Form Filling
Filling out the Common App takes time. We can help you with the process to make sure that all pertinent data are put in to make sure you don’t miss out on anything.
- Extracurricular Activity Designing
Participating in extracurricular activities and the leadership role you play matters a lot in your college application. Strategic planning is necessary to make sure that you choose the activity that matches the values of the school of your choice. The pandemic has clearly changed the educational landscape and limited the opportunities for students to participate in extracurricular activities. Read on to know how you can keep up with your extracurricular activities during these times.
- College Visits
College visits are an important part of the admissions process. In-person college visits, if possible, are the best way for a student to feel the campus vibe and learn more about a school and determine if it is indeed a right fit.
- Test Preparation
As our students progress through high school, standardized testing becomes a stressful reality. For this reason, we also advise our students about what standardized tests they should take, when they should take them, and how best to prepare for them. Even when most schools are going test-optional, we believe that taking the SAT and ACT will be advantageous especially if GPA and extracurricular activities are not too impressive. Solid and well-planned test preparation will be a net positive for a college application.
- Class Selection
A student is responsible for choosing his/her classes depending on the educational program and major chosen. We can help you carefully choose which classes to take and plan them on your calendar to make sure that you are maximizing your time while still having enough time to cover your extracurricular activities. For tips on how to choose the right classes, click here.
- College Selection
- Winter Project/Internship Advising
An internship provides students with hands-on experience in their field of interest. It equips students with knowledge and skills to make them stand out from the other applicants. Choosing the right project or organization to take part in an internship program requires careful planning and strategizing. With our pool of resources and familiarity with different organizations, we can help you choose the right winter internship program to suit your college application. A student is responsible for choosing his/her classes depending on the educational program and major chosen. We can help you carefully choose which classes to take and plan them on your calendar to make sure that you are maximizing your time while still having enough time to cover your extracurricular activities. For tips on how to choose the right classes, click here.
- Winter Program Selection
Immersing in winter programs is a great way to spend winter. It keeps students motivated to pursue their passions and earn college credits at the same time!
- Winter School Programs are typically an approximation of the College Experience for high school students. Some offer courses taught by college professors or visiting scholars. Others conduct workshops or research opportunities where they can be mentored by industry experts. This is a great opportunity for students to sharpen their skills and socialize with their peers from all over the world.
What are the benefits of attending a winter program?
- In terms of college applications, the value of each program has varying degrees depending on the program itself.
- Close working relationships with an instructor may lead to valuable resources like letters of recommendation, future projects, and connections with people of importance.
- This lays the foundation for more competitive winter programs/internships in the future
- They can take this opportunity to explore different majors and college life.
- They may be given college credit for accomplishing the courses and improving their GPA.
- For students who have poor work ethics, it is one way to help them stay organized and motivated with minimal effort.
- Since the application process is quite similar to college admissions, this experience will help them prepare for the logistics and essay writing process needed when they apply for college.